Need to stay connected when out in the bush or exploring? Phone signal is not always an option and that’s when you rely on UHF radios the most.
Two way radios are essential when out 4wding and adventuring, whether it be solo or with friends. It’s recommended to have at least one UHF in the car or on your person, just in case.
UHF handheld radios
For as long as we can remember, we have always had a two way radio and a handheld UHF in the car. One for the driver and one for the spotter. This has been more than sufficient until recently.
As the kids have gotten a little older they have wanted to go exploring independently or play spotlight when we go camping in the bush. Having a handheld radio of their own gives us as parents a bit of reassurance and they know they can radio us if they need anything.
Uniden UH45 walkie talkie
In light of the kids wanting a little more freedom in the great outdoors, we wanted cheap two ways that work.
Keeping truck drivers and other UHF users in mind, the kid’s walkie talkies are set to less used channels because let’s be honest, no one else wants to listen to conversations happening between kids. And on the flipside, parents don’t want their kids hearing some of the conversations that take place via UHF either which is why the Kid Zone is such a good feature.
Uniden walkie talkie features
These Uniden walkie talkies are not like the cheap kids ones you find in your local toy shop. These are good quality Uniden UHFs that are designed to suit the whole family, including kids.
- 80 UHF channels
- Inbuilt LED light
- D+Booster (extreme distance booster)
- Range – approx. 3km
- Backlit LCD display
- Kid Zone – this is a great option for kids to use as it offers a secure and safe way for kids to communicate with parents and friends.
- Channel scan
- Roger beep, backlight, CTCSS & call tone
- Dimensions: 138mm (H) x 50mm (W) x 30mm (D)
The Uniden walkie talkies are available in four packs with a range of bright colours – single RRP$32.95, 2 pack RRP$64.95, 3 pack RRP$84.95 and four pack RRP$104.95.
What’s in the box?
- Uniden walkie talkie UH45
- Belt clip
- Micro USB charge cable
What we like
- Compact size
- Kid Zone
- Battery level indicator
- Micro USB charging
- Good quality
- Crisp sound
What we don’t like
- Does not come standard with a rechargeable battery pack. (It takes 3x AAA batteries. You can use rechargeable ones and charge using the included micro USB charge cable.)
If you are a beginner 4wder, hiker or you camp with kids and are in the market for a cheap handheld UHF, the Uniden walkie talkie UH45 are a great option.
HGT was gifted this product for review purposes.
All opinions are our own.
They love sharing their 4wding, camping and travel experiences. Not just limited to the great outdoors though, Happy Go Travel also enjoy the city lights and the finer things in life.
Latest posts by Happy Go Travel (see all)
- OZtrail Fiesta Compact 2.4 Gazebo Review - 10/04/2019
- Want to Stay Healthy While Travelling? Here’s How! - 05/03/2019
- Things To Do Between Sydney and Melbourne - 15/12/2018