The white beaches, the breath-taking scenery and the endless, serene stretches of nature. The perception that most of us have of Cairns is of a sleepy town where morning stretches seamlessly into the afternoon with nary a flutter of the eyelid. But Cairns is so much more than that – there are so many adventure things to do in Cairns that it’s actually Australia’s adventure capital!
So how will you know if you never go? Here’s just a glimpse of the best things to do in Cairns with kids (or without them) that you may not have ever considered.
Best Adventure Things to do in Cairns WITH kids
The obvious choice here is to introduce your kids to both the unearthly beauty of the Great Barrier Reef as well as the very real and very relevant concepts of conservation and environmentalism.
Snorkelling is a great way to get up close and personal with what lies beneath in a safe and supported way. If that’s not quite where your kids are at, there is still adventure to be had in one of a number of glass-bottom boat cruises. This would be a great choice for little ones who will still get to see the fish without having to be strong swimmers capable of using a snorkel.
Some of the best adventure things to do in Cairns with kids would be taking them on a safe hike or bush walk. There are a number of safe areas to do so (ensuring you obey and follow all signage about wildlife including crocodiles) and it’s a fabulous way to burn off some of that kid-energy before every parents’ favourite holiday activity – nap time!
Finally, flyboarding is a great option if you’re looking for adventure things to do in Cairns that kids can do too! It’s available for kids over the age of 12 and involves ‘flying’ above the water. It’s truly an unforgettable experience and one that your kids will be falling all over themselves to tell all their friends about.
Best Adventure Things to do in Cairns WITHOUT kids
If you’ve headed to Cairns without kids, or you’ve managed to secure a babysitter, you might be looking for some fun things to do in Cairns that don’t have to accommodate those little legs (and short attention spans).
Here are a few ideas for fun thing you might like to try in Cairns:
• Bungee Jumping! See the world from a whole different angle at any number of bungee jump service providers. You’ll typically find that these companies are very competitive and there are often great deals on places like Airbnb and Groupon for jumping experiences. Definitely do your research first!
• Sky Diving! Get that adrenaline pumping (and laugh yourself silly at the photos afterwards) in an out-of-this-world experience. As per the bungee recommendation, make sure you shop around and don’t go with the first company you find. There are some great deals to be had that will make a good experience a truly spectacular one.
• Kayaking! Maybe some older kids can come along for this one but this is a relatively sedate, but still spectacular, way of exploring the beautiful creeks and tributaries that make up the Cairns ecosystem. Make sure you follow any and all signage related to safe and unsafe areas (particularly in terms of crocodiles).
Things you need to know about Cairns
Before planning your north Queensland adventure there are probably a few things you should know about this wonderful part of the world.
• August is typically the busiest season in terms of tourists as the weather is the most amenable to tourists at this time. Summer is VERY HOT and brings with it the wet season. If you don’t mind that and you’re prepared to sweat it out, you’re in for an amazing adventure at any time of year.
• You may want to rent a car so you can more easily make the most of the entire area.
• The rainy season is also the jellyfish and Box Jellyfish season so take great caution.
Why visit Queensland?
Many people from out of state think that Brisbane is the be-all-and-end-all of Queensland but it couldn’t be further from the truth. Whether it’s travelling and exploring in central Queensland, taking in the big-smoke of Brisbane or visiting any number of a hundred satellite towns via 4WD – Queensland has an incredible amount to offer in terms of tourism and unforgettable travelling experiences.
PIN THIS POST:
They love sharing their 4wding, camping and travel experiences. Not just limited to the great outdoors though, Happy Go Travel also enjoy the city lights and the finer things in life.